There has been a building on our site since the 1300s although the first mention of the Kings itself is not until 1639. The Georgian frontage was added in 1753 although the size of the building was reduced in the 1890s when a decline in trade resulted in part of the front being turned into a shop. It wasn’t until 1936 that the Kings left private ownership and was bought by the Friary Brewery of Guildford which later became part of Allied Breweries.
We’ve had a few famous guests over the years including Tsar Peter the Great (who left without paying his bill!) as well as some European “royalty” who met here in 1814 to discuss post war Europe after the Battle of Trafalgar. Tsar Peter the Great’s visit is commemorated by a plaque on the front of the building which was unveiled in 1998 by the Russian Ambassador to commemorate the tricentenary of the visit.
Read more in our History book – coming soon